By Peter Borsay
A historical past of Leisure
- explores various hobbies, from festive tradition and song to tourism and sport
- emphasises a conceptual and important technique, instead of an easy narrative history
- covers a variety of issues together with economic climate, nation, category, identities, position, house and time
- treats the constituent components of the British Isles as a fluid and dynamic amalgam of neighborhood and nationwide cultures and polities.
Authoritative and fascinating, this article demanding situations traditional perspectives at the heritage of rest and indicates new methods to the topic. Borsay attracts upon the insights supplied via numerous disciplines along that of heritage - anthropology, the humanities, geography and sociology - to provide an important consultant to this interesting zone of study.
Read or Download A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500 PDF
Best sociology of sports books
John R. Gerdy has visible approximately each part of athletics. he's the son of a highschool soccer trainer; he was once an All-American basketball participant and a legislative assistant for the nationwide Collegiate Athletic organization; and he served as an affiliate commissioner for the Southeastern convention.
How can or does early life recreation reconcile what appears to be like a primary contradiction among understandings of recreation and incapacity? Has early life game been challenged in anyway? Have replacement perspectives of recreation for disabled humans been awarded? interpreting many of the most up-to-date examine, this booklet considers the connection among activity and incapacity by way of exploring various questions reminiscent of those.
Visual appeal- and performance-enhancing drugs—specifically, anabolic steroids (APEDs)—provide a tempting aggressive virtue for beginner baseball avid gamers. yet this shortcut can specific a deadly expense on gifted athletes. In his pressing publication Suicide Squeeze, William Kashatus chronicles the reviews of Taylor Hooton and Rob Garibaldi, promising highschool baseball avid gamers who abused APEDs within the hopes of attracting expert scouts and department I recruiters.
This publication examines how youth at a martial arts membership in an city surroundings take part and engage in a leisure social group. the writer relates analyses in their interactions to discussions of relevance to the sociology of activities, anthropology and schooling, eventually delivering an analytically nuanced contribution to the examine of latest sociolinguistic procedures and id practices.
- Sport, Masculinities and the Body (Routledge Research in Sport, Culture and Society)
- From Ritual to Record: The Nature of Modern Sports, Updated Edition
- Battleground: Sports (Battleground Series)
- Soccer Culture in America: Essays on the World’s Sport in Red, White and Blue
- The Eternal Present of Sport: Rethinking Sport and Religion
- English National Identity and Football Fan Culture: Who Are Ya?
Extra info for A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500
A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500 by Peter Borsay